Thursday, June 7, 2012

Suite For Violin And Piano



Later this year, our friends at Basta will present the first commercial release of Raymond Scott's Suite for Violin and Piano, believed to have been composed in 1949. A 1950 recording by violinist Arnold Eidus and pianist Carlo Bussotti made at a Carnegie Hall studio will be coupled with a 2004 Dutch recording by Davide Rossi and Ramon Dor (produced by Beau Hunks leader Gert-Jan Blom). The liner notes for the release will include this recollection by Mitzi Scott about an incident with her future husband in 1966:
I had known Raymond for a couple of weeks. I knew he was an orchestra conductor and had written "Powerhouse" and "The Toy Trumpet." We were at his studio one day and he asked what kind of music I liked. I told him I liked classical, and that one of my favorites was the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto. He said, "I'm going to play something for you," but he didn't say what. He put on this record of a duet for violin and piano. I thought it was so beautiful, but I didn't recognize it. I know works by Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev, and others, but I'd never heard this piece. I loved it. I asked him who wrote it. He had a modest look on his face, and he surprised me when he answered, "I did."
Mitzi insisted that Raymond's having composed the Suite for Violin and Piano was a determining factor for entering into a relationship with him. They were married on January 18, 1967.

The CD cover above was designed by Piet Schreuders, who adapted a mid-1940s illustration by Jim Flora. 

No comments:

Post a Comment